Fall is a great time for a fun baking activity with the kids. Try out this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Scones that your little ones are sure to love!
By Beth Maisano, Sweet Creations by Beth
Makes 16 large scones
4 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 tsp. Baking Powder
3 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 sticks (1 cup) Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups Canned Pumpkin (purée)
1/2 cup Milk
Topping before baking
1/2 stick Unsalted Butter
Handful of Sugar
2 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbsp. Milk
1/4 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add butter and mix by hand, rubbing the butter into the dry ingredients for a few minutes until all lumps are gone.
2. Add final wet ingredients and stir until combined. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out half of the dough until it is about 1″ thick.
3. Melt 1/2 stick unsalted butter and coat top of dough generously (using about half the butter). Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cut into desired shapes and sizes. Repeat process with remainder of the dough.
4. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on cooling rack before adding the glaze.
5. Stir glaze ingredients together and, using a piping bag, coat tops of scones with diagonal lines of glaze. Let the glaze dry completely.
Sweet Creations by Beth has blossomed over these past few years, but it has always been grounded on a passion for baking and creating desserts that are both delicious AND gorgeous! Starting out as a fun hobby and growing rapidly through Facebook and word of mouth, Sweet Creations by Beth has graduated from cupcakes to fantastical cakes, cookies, pastries and more. If you can dream it, Beth can make it! Like Sweet Creations by Beth on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/sweetcreationsbybeth1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo: Courtesy of Beth Maisano